Girls girls girls, as (either) Elvis might say!
This was undoubtedly and delightfully the year of the 20-something woman, sad or smartaleck or (my favorite) both at the same time. The latter half of Disk 1 features my picks but there could have been five more of them on here. Sorry, Lucy Dacus, Soccer Mommy, Eleanor Friedberger, Waxahatchee, and others!
My song of the year is “All My Shades of Blue” and my album of the year Jeremy Messersmith’s “Late Stage Capitalism” (I probably should have found room for the other song from it I love, “Happy”).
Lots of old friends turned in stellar work this year but perhaps I will split the Hey I Recognize That Guy! award between John Prine and Paul McCartney (because, you know, McCartney needs more awards).
My saddest song of the year, Roseanne Cash’s “Not Many Miles to Go,” isn’t even sad but rueful and wise so we will temporarily rename it the song that makes my chest hurt award. That voice!
Finally, I offer my newly-minted Zeitgeist award to Titus Andronicus for “Real Talk” because we may in fact be in for a real big storm.
So remember, “Two-faced bitches never lie/Therefore I never lie,” and in that spirit of good faith I offer:
- Purple Hearts, Jeremy Messersmith
- Love You So Bad, Ezra Furman
- Bad Luck, Neko Case
- Roman Cars, Buffalo Tom
- Real Talk, Titus Andronicus
- Nobody, Mitski
- Running, Ryan Downey
- Breathless, William Prince
- Leave It Alone, Amanda Shires
- Future Me Hates Me, The Beths
- Paying Off the Happiness, illuminati hotties
- 2 Cool 2 Care, Anna Burch
- Sin Triangle, Sidney Gish
- Oom Sha La La, Haley Heynderickx
- All My Shades of Blue, Ruen Brothers
- It Can’t Be Love Unless It Hurts, Tracyanne & Danny
- Sweet Dew Lee, Belle and Sebastian
- The Joke, Brandi Carlile
- Beyond, Leon Bridges
- Slow Burn, Kacey Musgraves
- People Get Old, Lori McKenna
- Everybody Knows, The Jayhawks
- Confidante, Paul McCartney
- Stripping Paper, Elvis Costello and the Imposters
- Not Many Miles to Go, Roseanne Cash
- Summer’s End, John Prine
- The Carny, William Prince